Zimbabwe Fuel Coupons used currency

• gtb

5 messages

Lithuania

hello friends,

Fuel coupons are a land-mark item associated with Zimbabwe's unprecedented height of inflation and shortages. The coupons themselves became a currency steadily replacing the Zimbabwe dollar. Schools, colleges and private businesses started accepting fuel coupons to settle bills. A liter of petrol fuel was equivalent to US$1.00. Hence a 25 liter coupon would pass for US$25.00. Fuel coupons paid workers salaries and even rentals in real estate sector. The Zimbabwe dollar could not be trusted to sustain stable transactions. These coupons are serious collectors items. They are rare and very difficult to get in Zimbabwe.

Here is my question, do they have any collectors value nowadays? I can not find them for sale.

thanks
  • wycombe1

1,551 messages

United Kingdom

hello friends,

Fuel coupons are a land-mark item associated with Zimbabwe's unprecedented height of inflation and shortages. The coupons themselves became a currency steadily replacing the Zimbabwe dollar. Schools, colleges and private businesses started accepting fuel coupons to settle bills. A liter of petrol fuel was equivalent to US$1.00. Hence a 25 liter coupon would pass for US$25.00. Fuel coupons paid workers salaries and even rentals in real estate sector. The Zimbabwe dollar could not be trusted to sustain stable transactions. These coupons are serious collectors items. They are rare and very difficult to get in Zimbabwe.

Here is my question, do they have any collectors value nowadays? I can not find them for sale.

thanks
    • Created on 8 Jul 2011 at 06:27
    If you list them then if there is any market you will probably have it to yourself for a while.

Try a listing or two and publicise this in the various banknote forums scattered around the Internet.

Even weirder things sell - I have sold Zimbabwe bus tickets, beer bottle labels and expired passports in the past (though not on Delcampe).
  • gtb

5 messages

Lithuania

hello friends,

thanks
    • Created on 8 Jul 2011 at 06:27
    thanks for idea, will list the here

Join the collectors community

Register Login