Wrong category items

• wycombe1

1853 messages

United Kingdom

Though I sell coins I rarely have a look at the listings and was surprised by some of the miscategorisation and some of the fake material that abounded.

Maybe I am wrong so would appreciate if any coin dealers or collectors could comment.

What I immediately noted was a French Pro seller (who seems not to speak English - we don't have a common language when I looked at his listings) who was listing copper and gold plated 'ingots' on the UK site in the coin sections.

There are also a fair few sellers selling fake Burundi coinage on the International site. These are easy to check as they do not appear on the Central Bank of Burundi web site and a supplier of mine in Burundi has confirmed they are fake.

Maybe a blitz on these possible charlatans is in order?
  • mainlypostcards

3539 messages

United Kingdom

Though I sell coins I rarely have a look at the listings and was surprised by some of the miscategorisation and some of the fake material that abounded.

Maybe I am wrong so would appreciate if any coin dealers or collectors could comment.

What I immediately noted was a French Pro seller (who seems not to speak English - we don't have a common language when I looked at his listings) who was listing copper and gold plated 'ingots' on the UK site in the coin sections.

There are also a fair few sellers selling fake Burundi coinage on the International site. These are easy to check as they do not appear on the Central Bank of Burundi web site and a supplier of mine in Burundi has confirmed they are fake.

Maybe a blitz on these possible charlatans is in order?
    • Created on 30 Dec 2016 at 15:13
    Until the site is technically up and running smoothly, I doubt anything will be done about "dodgy" listings - be it fakes, prohibited, wrong categories or anything else.
  • wycombe1

1853 messages

United Kingdom

Possibly that explains the plethora of such listings that I came across when looking ONLY at the listings of the last 24 hours.

A bit disconcerting to note that currently nothing can be done about such things. It seems a golden opportunity for the more shady fraternity to make hay while the sun shines!! - and drive away a few more potential buyers and some more entrenched ones when they realise what they purchased is dud!
  • sirkipalot

4 messages

United Kingdom

Couldn't agree more. I am getting so fed up buying from so called pro sellers with 100% ratings and receiving trash coins in my post. Coins are either heavily cleaned or even worse polished and you can smell it before you open the envelope.

Yet the photo of the coins are unassuming and look fine. Obviously they have been heavily darkened and touched up to make them look saleable. They should insist on clear set size photographs and a fair description that represents the coin in the abscence of being there to inspect it. And if they can't tell if a coin has been cleaned or polished they have no business selling them. here is the latest and my photo actually flatters the coin as it is almost bare copper colour looking
  • wycombe1

1853 messages

United Kingdom

If you pay by Paypal then a few 'item not as described' chargebacks would be in order against such sellers unless they have indicated the coin is cleaned. There are independent forums - not here as naming and shaming is not permitted - where one can wax lyrical about such misdeeds and who perpetrated them.

Join the collectors community

Register Login