Postmark

• rip63

43 messages

France

Hello.
    I would like to know the amount of the tax on this letter as a French collector, I am not used to this style of figure.
    I would like to have some information on this stamp of Hull ship letter.
    thank you for your answers
  • dave43

277 messages

United Kingdom

I think it is 3, you must remember they were writing these figures all day so they became very stylized! So it started at Glossop (Derbyshire) on September 14th 1854, as it was addressed to Her Majesty's Ship Miranda in the White Sea (in the Artic Sea, icebound from September to June) it was first sent to London so head office could decide the best way of sending it, there it received a red PAID mark for 16th Sept (there is another mark over this but I can't make it out)they decided the best port was Hull and there it received a Hull ship letter mark for the 17th Sept
    I do wonder how Glossop could decide that the letter would cost 3d (I don't think it could be 3 shillings, it would have been written 3/-) Captain Edmund Lyons was killed in 1855 on HMS Miranda (search the web)
    I don't know enough about this kind of cover but sent to a ship it would not get a receiving mark
    the embossed crown and initials on the back of the envelope indicate it was sent by someone with a title
    I'm a bit worried about the 2 ink marks on LHS front, why don't they appear on the back? and the back shows a circular impression on the far right overlapping the edge and no such impression is on the front (I realize you have inverted the back in relation to the front) but there is no mark overlapping the edge.
    but interesting!
  • rip63

43 messages

France

Hello Dave43
    Thank you for your reply, written letter during the conflict that will be called "Crimean War" 1854-1856. English and French will block the ports of the Baltic Sea and the White Sea.
    I put the scan of the fare for the mail destined for the white sea.
    The cost of wearing the letter is not 3 pence.
    Cordially.

Join the collectors community

Register Login