George 6th cancellation

• grandad-47

113 messages

United Kingdom

I have a George 6th 1d pale colour stamp cancelled with a triangular mark with the upper case letters "KL" inside. Can anyone tell me something about this cancellation?
    (I can't seem to get the image uploaded??)
  • moonstone

943 messages

United Kingdom

A telegraph cancellation, almost certainly, KL being the town of origin code.
  • grandad-47

113 messages

United Kingdom

A telegraph cancellation, almost certainly, KL being the town of origin code.
    • Created on Mar 3, 2018 at 5:11 AM
    Many thanks for your reply. I have not heard of telegraph cancellations. Could you supply any more info?
    Regards
    Malcolm (grandad-47)
  • moonstone

943 messages

United Kingdom

Hi Malcolm,

Telegraphs (or telegrams, as they became known), were able to be sent from a main Post Office with the necessary equipment, usually one in each town of any size. Payment for the service was made by way of stamps affixed to telegraph forms, cost depending on distance, cancelled by a triangular 'telegraph' cancellation (to distinguish them from postal cancellations) with the town initials inside, in your case KL - probably Kilmarnock, I'd guess, but don't have the list of these.

The telegraph forms were supposed to be kept internally as an accounting verification for stamp usage and telegraph receipts and then destroyed, but like most other things a % 'got out' into the market!

Hope this is of use.

Sam
  • tony41

235 messages

United Kingdom

Hi Malcolm,

Telegraphs (or telegrams, as they became known), were able to be sent from a main Post Office with the necessary equipment, usually one in each town of any size. Payment for the service was made by way of stamps affixed to telegraph forms, cost depending on distance, cancelled by a triangular 'telegraph' cancellation (to distinguish them from postal cancellations) with the town initials inside, in your case KL - probably Kilmarnock, I'd guess, but don't have the list of these.

The telegraph forms were supposed to be kept internally as an accounting verification for stamp usage and telegraph receipts and then destroyed, but like most other things a % 'got out' into the market!

Hope this is of use.

Sam
    • Created on Mar 3, 2018 at 8:56 AM
    I don't have a list of telegraph offices either but KL might be Kings Lynn
  • moonstone

943 messages

United Kingdom

• Created on Mar 3, 2018 at 9:44 AM
    You could well be right, hadn't thought of that!
  • grandad-47

113 messages

United Kingdom

Hi Malcolm,

Hope this is of use.

Sam
    • Created on Mar 3, 2018 at 8:56 AM
    Very many thanks for your interesting info.
    Kind regards
    Malcolm
  • grandad-47

113 messages

United Kingdom

• Created on Mar 3, 2018 at 9:44 AM
    Hi Tony
    Many thanks for your input
    Kind regards
    Malcolm
  • auctionmike1

28 messages

United Kingdom

Triangular postmarks have also been used a lot on reduced rate business mail. I believe that envelopes posted using this rate had to be unsealed and available for inspection. When inspected they were cancelled with a triangular frank. You will find many envelopes on delcampe and ebay with a triangular cancellation. The 1d rate would have applied any time between 1949 and 1957.

There should be some images attached to this which I have just grabbed off the two auction sites with apologies to everybody concerned..
  • grandad-47

113 messages

United Kingdom

Triangular postmarks have also been used a lot on reduced rate business mail. I believe that envelopes posted using this rate had to be unsealed and available for inspection. When inspected they were cancelled with a triangular frank. You will find many envelopes on delcampe and ebay with a triangular cancellation. The 1d rate would have applied any time between 1949 and 1957.

There should be some images attached to this which I have just grabbed off the two auction sites with apologies to everybody concerned..
    • Created on Apr 2, 2018 at 5:53 PM
    Very many thanks for your very interesting answer. Is it significant that the three examples you offer are all sent to overseas addresses?
    Regards
    Malcolm
  • auctionmike1

28 messages

United Kingdom

Very many thanks for your very interesting answer. Is it significant that the three examples you offer are all sent to overseas addresses?
    Regards
    Malcolm
    • Created on Apr 3, 2018 at 3:57 AM
    Business mail rates to foreign destinations were minimal costing, only profitable with the volumes involved, so maybe they attracted greater scrutiny? Also, collectors probably take greater care to rescue foreign commercial mail from the bin, so people abroad help the survival rate of mail that would just be thrown out at home?
  • auctionmike1

28 messages

United Kingdom

You may also find this image interesting...
  • joulie

6124 messages

France

Here is a list of telegraphic codes : Link (http)
    Regards.
  • grandad-47

113 messages

United Kingdom

You may also find this image interesting...
    • Created on Apr 3, 2018 at 5:28 AM
    Mike
    Very many thanks for your input.
  • grandad-47

113 messages

United Kingdom

Here is a list of telegraphic codes : Link (http)
    Regards.
    • Created on Apr 3, 2018 at 7:40 AM
    Very many thanks for your input.
    regards
    Malcolm

Join the collectors community

Register Login