Belgian envelopes made from maps

• dave43

277 messages

United Kingdom

Quasar will probably tell me its been done before but does anyone know the story behind these envelopes? Possibly done just after WWII but I can't read postmarks. Are they maps of Germany but some writing is in English? This is one I've opened out.
  • quasar

3764 messages

Belgium

Quasar will probably tell me its been done before but does anyone know the story behind these envelopes? Possibly done just after WWII but I can't read postmarks. Are they maps of Germany but some writing is in English? This is one I've opened out.
    • Created on May 29, 2018 at 5:01 PM
    Hi Dave,

Just after WWII seems correct to me: the left stamp (with king Leopold III and 'V') dates from 1944.
    As for the postmark: I would read April 3, 1946 at 13-14 hours.

I never saw this kind of envelopes before.
    I would guess: somebody makes an envelope out of a German map, because of the lack of envelopes or (other) paper?

Best regards,

quasar
  • dave43

277 messages

United Kingdom

Quasar Thanks for that, I agree with date. At the bottom of the scan it says "See note und...." and underneath "ALTITUDE" so presumably there were lots of Allied maps (in English) of Germany about to make envelopes out of? I have found a few of these Belgian envelopes on Delcampe but you know me, I want to know why they were made!
  • dave43

277 messages

United Kingdom

Looking at these envelopes again I think they may have been published by the US Army Map Service, scale 1: 100,000, active from 1941 to 1968, they provided about 500 million copies of maps during the war, the envelopes were machine made, I think.

Join the collectors community

Register Login