Overprint stamps Sudetenland

• renedevos

2 messages

United Kingdom

Q: the overprint “we are free” on the Sudetenland stamps differ because of the “!” after “frei”. Are both overprints real. Can’t find this in the SG catalogue!
  • joulie

6169 messages

France

Hi.
    Your stamp is Michel # 55 (Sudetenland,Reichenberg-Maffersdorf)
    First overprint ,without "!", is obviously a forgery.
    Second overprint may be genuine,but this set has been forged so many times that I'm suspicious.
    Regards.
  • emmbersplace

908 messages

Philippines

Q: the overprint “we are free” on the Sudetenland stamps differ because of the “!” after “frei”. Are both overprints real. Can’t find this in the SG catalogue!
    • Created on Jan 30, 2019 at 5:36 AM
    These "We are Free" Czech Sudetenland overprints were issued locally in several towns following Hitler's invasion in October 1938. Michel lists some of these for several Czech cities - they are really propaganda stamps.
  • renedevos

2 messages

United Kingdom

Hi.
    Your stamp is Michel # 55 (Sudetenland,Reichenberg-Maffersdorf)
    First overprint ,without "!", is obviously a forgery.
    Second overprint may be genuine,but this set has been forged so many times that I'm suspicious.
    Regards.
    • Created on Jan 30, 2019 at 7:41 AM
    Thank you. Strange that the stamp having the overprint without the “!” is a forgery since it is depicted in the book “The Dictionary of Stamps in colour” by J. A. Mackay (1973). The stamp with the overprint containing the “!”, I bought on eBay for £4.5. Hope it was worth.

Join the collectors community

Register Login