whats it all about?

• dave43

277 messages

United Kingdom

Just got this card (thanks Willy, only few days from Belgium!) 1906 card with Russian stamp, spose the cachet might just be a hotel cachet and 2 dates the difference between Julien calendar and Gregorian but the pic on other side seems to encourage underage drinking amongst the Dutch! (I'm sure it does belong!) What's it all about?
  • joulie

6125 messages

France

Herck-la-Ville is a town in Belgium
    The postmark is from Odessa
    The cachet on the left reads "Anonymous Society of Odessa Tramways"
  • dave43

277 messages

United Kingdom

Share certificates are known for Societe Anonyme D'Odessa tramways dated about 1911 but with 2 different cachets to the one on this card but tramway was originally financed from Brussels. I think the card was printed in Germany, ges gesch is German copyright and I'm sure I've seen similar backs on other German cards. What if card was printed in Germany as propaganda for use against Dutch in Dutch East Indies, being Muslim they wouldn't have liked the drinking on picture side. The children are obviously Dutch, they wear clogs and there are windmills in background. Obviously artist did not want to sign picture! but they are well drawn, can't find anyone who printed cards in blue, surely card were printed in 3's 4's or even 6's so there should really be other designs about.
    What do you think, feasible?
  • baltija

747 messages

Sweden

Share certificates are known for Societe Anonyme D'Odessa tramways dated about 1911 but with 2 different cachets to the one on this card but tramway was originally financed from Brussels. I think the card was printed in Germany, ges gesch is German copyright and I'm sure I've seen similar backs on other German cards. What if card was printed in Germany as propaganda for use against Dutch in Dutch East Indies, being Muslim they wouldn't have liked the drinking on picture side. The children are obviously Dutch, they wear clogs and there are windmills in background. Obviously artist did not want to sign picture! but they are well drawn, can't find anyone who printed cards in blue, surely card were printed in 3's 4's or even 6's so there should really be other designs about.
    What do you think, feasible?
    • Created on Apr 5, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    At the time of the postcard anything liquid for consumption was transported in glass bottles.

Where do you get the idea that the bottles contain alcoholic beverages?

This postcard is unlikely to be propaganda.
  • dave43

277 messages

United Kingdom

At the time of the postcard anything liquid for consumption was transported in glass bottles.

Where do you get the idea that the bottles contain alcoholic beverages?

This postcard is unlikely to be propaganda.
    • Created on Apr 5, 2020 at 4:28 PM
    You might be right but I still think kids look a bit furtive (secretive) I have found 2 other cards with similar address sides but different copyright numbers, still no clue to publisher or artist. Have also found card printed blueish but no scan of address side so can't check. Oh well, if at first you don't succeed, give up!

Join the collectors community

Register Login