Trying to correct error on item with bids

• reynardmf

137 messages

United Kingdom

I have an item listed which is India stamps/postal history, which was one of the items my son listed for me. However I have just noticed that he made an error in the description but more importantly included some covers (USA and GB) in the scans which are part of another listing!
    I assumed that like ebay I could close the listing with an explanation of the problem and relist the item correctly. However it seems the only way to close the item means that it will be sold to the highest bidder in 24 hours time?Alternatively I am sure you used to be able to add additional text to the description, but this option does not seem available.
    As it stands I will have to let this run to the end with items in the listing which are not included?
    There is no way I am sending this lot until I can list it correctly, anybody ever had this issue?
  • reynardmf

137 messages

United Kingdom

I have an item listed which is India stamps/postal history, which was one of the items my son listed for me. However I have just noticed that he made an error in the description but more importantly included some covers (USA and GB) in the scans which are part of another listing!
    I assumed that like ebay I could close the listing with an explanation of the problem and relist the item correctly. However it seems the only way to close the item means that it will be sold to the highest bidder in 24 hours time?Alternatively I am sure you used to be able to add additional text to the description, but this option does not seem available.
    As it stands I will have to let this run to the end with items in the listing which are not included?
    There is no way I am sending this lot until I can list it correctly, anybody ever had this issue?
    • Created on Jun 18, 2019 at 7:11 AM
    Just heard from Miranda there is no way to amend a listing, no way even to add some extra text to a description and the only way I have is to Close the sale, which will take place in 24 hours when I will then have to notify the highest bidder that the sale is invalid and Cancel the sale.
    Seems a crazy way to do things and almost guaranteed to upset bidders? :dunno:
  • emmbersplace

830 messages

Philippines

Yes....I take your point re ebay ...but in real land-based auctions, once the auctioneer has started the proceedings and the first bid is placed...that is it! The vendor cannot make alterations for any reason although the auctioneer very occasionally makes representations on behalf of the seller at the end of the auction where a mistake has been made....the buyer can, of course, insist on completing the purchase even then..

Delcampe just seem to be following the procedures that have always applied to auctions.
  • reynardmf

137 messages

United Kingdom

Yes....I take your point re ebay ...but in real land-based auctions, once the auctioneer has started the proceedings and the first bid is placed...that is it! The vendor cannot make alterations for any reason although the auctioneer very occasionally makes representations on behalf of the seller at the end of the auction where a mistake has been made....the buyer can, of course, insist on completing the purchase even then..

Delcampe just seem to be following the procedures that have always applied to auctions.
    • Created on Jun 20, 2019 at 8:43 AM
    In a real life auction though an auctioneer could while on the rostrum mention an error in the listing or some additional information pertinent to the lot. And surely a benefit of an online auction is the chance of adding (not changing or removing) additional information even after bids have been received (and automatically messaging any existing bidders that additional information has been added).
    Just seems strange to me that delcampe would rather an auction proceed with a known error and for the seller to then have to disappoint the winning bidder by cancelling the auction sale?
  • emmbersplace

830 messages

Philippines

Yes you are right.....but a real-life auctioneer is unable to do anything once biddiing has started. I think in your case, the error was discovered after bidding had started....

I have to say that, nowadays, I list only by fixed price and allow buyers to select an appropriate discount if they wish.....saves all the hassle of the auction format and sales are instant.

Join the collectors community

Register Login